If you are facing any acute issues with your laptop or PC powered by Windows 10 OS, you can consider resetting your device to the default settings. It's like doing the 'factory reset' of the WIndows 10. Now, there could be several reasons that force you to reset Windows 10 installation. And, thankfully, Microsoft has provided several ways with which you can reset Windows 10 quickly. And in this article will analyze the methods with which you will able to reset Windows 10, admittedly, the latest and the best OS from Microsoft.
So, What are the causes?
Check the reasons that may be creating the issue you have been facing on your laptop. Maybe you can solve the problems without the need for the factory reset. A factory reset will completely delete all your data, and as such, it may not be a good idea to factory reset for any little reason. Check the common fixes available for solving the most common problems before planning to go for the factory reset option. Kindly note that the factory reset should be the last resort if everything else fails in resolving the issue.
Factory reset Windows 10 – The steps.
If you have tried everything and still not able to get the issue resolved, it may be high time you will need to factory reset Windows 10 operating system. Go to the 'Settings' option to find the opportunities to reset your PC. Here are the individual steps you would need to follow.
- Go to the 'Start menu' and look for 'Settings'. Alternatively, you may type in 'Settings' and search for it.
- Under 'Settings', find and click on 'Update & Security'.
- Under the menu, choose 'Recovery'.
- The next menu should offer you two choices – 'Reset This PC' and 'Advanced Startup'.
- Click on the 'Get Started' button under the 'Reset This PC' option.
This step will take you to the next window, as shown in the image below.
- You will now need to choose one of the two options above.
Now, choosing to Keep My Files will remove all the files and settings from your system. However, there will be no change in your personal data files. The next screen will now display the list of all the apps that will be removed from your Windows 10 system. The list of removed apps will be available on your new desktop once the setup is complete. This is to serve you as a guide on the list of apps that you will be reinstalling after the factory reset is completed. Click on 'Continue'.
- In the next screen, Windows will display what exactly it is going to do with your settings.
Click on Reset.
- If you choose to 'Remove Everything' in the above step, you will be offered two options once again – Just Remove the Files and Remove Files and Clean the Drive.
- You will need to choose the first option if you want to sort out some issue that has been plaguing you on your Laptop. You can continue using your laptop after the reset.
- The second option Remove Files and Clean The Drive is best suited if your plans of selling your laptop off. The option will remove all traces of whatever you have had on the laptop and bring it to a complete factory state.
Once you choose either of those options, you will get a confirmation dialog and the tool will begin performing the wiping operation. If you have opted to remove files and clean the drive, the wiping will take more time. This is because the tool will wipe out your hard drive several times so that no traces of your old files exist on the drive.
Now, that should reset windows 10 in a glitchless way on your laptop. Moreover, your laptop will restart several times during this process. And, please note that it will take several minutes to get the task completed. And, your device will reboot several times during the reset process. You would not be able to use the laptop until the wiping operation is completed. Kindly allow it to finish the operation and take care not to interrupt it by switching it off. So, before you start to reset Windows 10, always plug in your laptop to a healthy power source.
Factory reset Windows 10 – After the reset
Once the laptop is reset and has restarted, you can begin installing the applications once again. Configure all your settings and begin using your laptop. Check if the issue has been resolved. If the problem still remains unresolved, it could mean a hardware issue. You may need to visit laptop repair center.
The final words
That should complete our step by step tutorial on how to factory reset your Windows 10 installation. If you followed them strictly and in case your problem is a result of software issues within your system – it should definitely be resolved. Otherwise, it should be a high time you will need to visit a laptop repair center.
We bet, this is not the only way to reset windows 10. Further, there are tons of technical issues that can surface during this resetting process, and accidentally, those issues can surely derail this entire process at any point in time. So, to gain more confidence before you actually reset Windows 10, you can snake through these official Windows help pages:
- Official Windows 10 Forum - QA forum for Windows 10. Submit your questions regarding any problem that you are facing with Windows10 and get answered by the experts.
- Official Windows 10 Blog - Learn everything that's happening around Windows 10.
#resetwindows10 #factoryresetwindows10 steptoresetwindows10 #resetwindows10tips