Bluetooth is nothing but a wireless technology protocol for connecting your personal computer with external peripheral devices. What happens sometimes is that users might not be even aware that your device has Bluetooth and in this article, we will learn about how to check if your computer has Bluetooth, or to check the Bluetooth compatibility of the computer to connect Bluetooth devices and whatnot. This whole article is divided into subtopics that will help you in every aspect and will also solve your issue related to your Bluetooth. But we will go to every element one by one and learn them in brief.
How to Find Bluetooth Connectivity in Laptop
Most Windows-powered notebooks on the market in 2018 have a built-in Bluetooth module. Only a few new laptop PCs and some outdated notebooks don't. People might wonder whether their computer has Bluetooth and how to check for the same in your laptops. Well, we have steps to check for Bluetooth in Windows, in Linux, in MAC. Well, to check for Bluetooth in all these operating systems we have mentioned the following steps for each of them:
Searching Bluetooth Connectivity in Windows
If Bluetooth is up and running on your laptop, you will be able to see a Bluetooth icon on the taskbar in the lower right corner of the screen. It is either shown near the battery, WI FI and speaker icon or you have to click on the nearby (^)up arrow to see it.
If it is there, then your laptop does have Bluetooth. If it isn't then chances are the Bluetooth module is missing. Or if it is not present on the taskbar, you can look for Bluetooth by following the steps:
- Press Windows key+X on your keyboard simultaneously.
- Search Device Manager.
- If Bluetooth is on the list of computer parts in Device Manager, then it is confirmed that your laptop has Bluetooth.
Searching Bluetooth Connectivity in Linux
If we are using a Linux laptop or personal computer and want to check if your personal computer has Bluetooth. We can find out this with a simple command, and this command will work both on desktop and laptop.
- Open the terminal.
- Type' dmesg | grep -i blue' and hit Enter.
- If you see a return listing hardware, you have Bluetooth. If you don't see a hardware listing, then you don't have Bluetooth.
But the thing we have to care for is that if we are using Linux, we have to be aware that some Linux kernels are not compatible with all Bluetooth modules so will not recognize them.
Searching Bluetooth Connectivity in MAC
If you are having a MAC and want to look for Bluetooth capability, you can perform the following steps to complete the checking:
- Open the Apple menu and About This Mac.
- Select System Information to generate a report on all hardware connected.
- Look for Bluetooth. Select it to find out what you have and where.
We can also look at System Preferences if preferred. Look for Bluetooth under Internet and Wireless. This would work
Searching Bluetooth Connectivity in Personal PC
Bluetooth compatibility means that if the latest Bluetooth version is compatible with your PC or it is an outdated version. You can follow these steps to check the compatibility of your Bluetooth:
- Open Start.
- Search for the Device Manager and click the top result.
- Expand the Bluetooth category
- Right-click the Bluetooth adapter, and select Properties.
- Click on the advanced tab.
- Under "Firmware", make a note of the LMP version number.
After completing the steps, you can see the LMP number using the list of basic Bluetooth version:
LMP Bluetooth Version
- 0 Bluetooth 1.0b
- 1 Bluetooth 1.1
- 2 Bluetooth 1.2
- 3 Bluetooth 2.0+EDR
- 4 Bluetooth 2.1+EDR
- 5 Bluetooth 3.0+HS
- 6 Bluetooth 4.0
- 7 Bluetooth 4.1
- 8 Bluetooth 4.2
- 9 Bluetooth 5
How to connect Bluetooth Devices?
We know that there are many Bluetooth devices and the steps are only relevant to some. For example, the steps to pair a Bluetooth sound system to a laptop are not the same as pairing headphones or the same as the pairing of smartphones. So the steps to follow for connection of smartphones to laptop: 1. Activate your Bluetooth function on mobile devices to make it discoverable or visible. 2. On your computer, access the Bluetooth settings and choose to make a new connection or set up a new device. For example, on Windows, either right-click the Bluetooth icon in the notification area or go to the control panel to find the Hardware and Sound > Devices and Printers page. 3. When the device appears in the list of Bluetooth and other devices, select it to connect(pair) it to the laptop.
4. If in the case prompted for a pin code, either enter or confirm the number on both devices. If you don't know the pin, try 0000 or 1234, if this doesn't work, search for the device manual online to find the Bluetooth code. 5. So once you are connected, you will transfer a file between through an application or a Send to > Bluetooth option on the OS.
Common Issues related to Bluetooth in Computer
After pairing or performing all the steps to connect a Bluetooth, you can't find it connected. But it's all because of the common issues that everybody faces, not that big a deal. You may experience Bluetooth Connection issues on a Windows computer due to device compatibility, operating system or driver or software updates. Another cause that may include incorrect settings, a broken device or the Bluetooth device may be off. But not to worry we have troubleshooting ideas for all the possible causes because Bluetooth might not be working.
How to Troubleshoot Bluetooth Option
Besides having these common issues, there are several ways to fix Bluetooth connection problems. In this part, we will give you some troubleshoot ideas to get your Bluetooth back to work.
Before coming to any conclusion, make sure Bluetooth is enabled by going to the Action Center and clicking and clicking on the notification icon at the bottom right side of your computer's screen next to the clock. Find the Bluetooth icon and click to turn it on.
Turning Bluetooth on and off again also resets the setting and helps fix any connectivity issues as your computer has to search for nearby devices all over again. Also, check on if your flight mode is on because it disables the Bluetooth.
Bring the device near one another
If you are using a desktop computer, move the Bluetooth device closer to the computer and try again pairing them together. When the distance isn't close enough, the Bluetooth connection will be out of range, so just make sure they are as close as possible to get an active link. If it is a laptop, move your laptop closer to the device.
Check your devices support Bluetooth
It is all assumable that your computer or Bluetooth device supports wireless technology when actually it doesn't. Not all devices use Bluetooth or have the technology built into them, so check the device packaging or manual to see if it supports Bluetooth or not before trying to connect. Otherwise, you can connect using a cable or Wifi connection.
Turn on the Bluetooth Device
It is also possible that the Bluetooth device you are trying to connect to your computer or laptop is off. Check and turn the device on before testing the connection again. Sometimes it might also take time to scan or detect other devices, so if it goes off, turn it on again and try the connection.
Check for Device conflicts
If your Bluetooth device is paired with more than one computer or other devices, it will cause conflicts and affect the connection. To fix this, turn off Bluetooth on all other devices or computers, except one and see if it works again.
Switch Off Nearby Devices
If you pair multiple Bluetooth devices to your computer, it could make it harder to pair a new one. Turning off the other nearby devices connected to your computer via Bluetooth.
- Make your system Discoverable
- Click on Start > Settings > Devices.
- Click More Bluetooth options.
- Check the Allow Bluetooth devices to find this PC box, and then click OK.
Restart the Computer
A restart usually helps resolve any software glitches that could be causing problems with your computer, including Bluetooth and other connectivity issues. After restarting your computer, try connecting again once you are logged in.
Check for Windows Updates
Sometimes not being updated to the latest version of the software may cause the glitches and cause the Bluetooth connection to fail as it would with Wifi.
- Go to Start > Settings > Update and Security.
- Click Check for Updates and click Download if there are any pending ones.
Make sure before starting the update process, your computer is connected to a power source as this process tends to consume resources and drain the battery.
Run the Windows 10 Bluetooth Troubleshooter
Click on Start > Settings > Devices. Find your device and click on it. Click remove the device. Restart the computer and try the pairing process again.
How to pair up External Bluetooth Device
To pair up an external Bluetooth device to your computer, you can follow the steps:
- Click on Start.
- Go to the Control Panel.
- Select Devices and Printers sometimes located under Hardware and Sound.
- Under Devices and Printers, click Add a Device.
- Make sure your Bluetooth headset has been set to pairing mode.
- From the list, select the device you want to connect.
What are the essential drivers for Bluetooth connectivity?
In windows there are two installation types for Bluetooth profile drivers:
By default, the Linux Kernel contains the necessary drivers needed for using Bluetooth. The Bluez system is used as a protocol stack. Additionally, install all packages associated with Bluetooth(bluez-libs, bluez-bluefw, bluez-pan, bluez-sdp and bluez-utils as these provide some necessary services and utilities.
Frequently Asked Questions:
1. How can I tell if my PC has Bluetooth? Open the device manager on your pc or laptop. If Bluetooth radios are listed, you have Bluetooth enabled. If there is a yellow exclamation icon over it, you might need to install the proper drivers. If Bluetooth radio is not listed, check the Network Adapters category. 2. How do I install Bluetooth on my computer? Turn on your Bluetooth device and make it discoverable.
- Select Start > Devices and Printers.
- Select Add a Device > select the device > Next.
- Follow any other instructions that might appear.
3. How can I get Bluetooth on my computer without an adapter? Go to Windows settings > Devices > Bluetooth & Other Devices. Here you will find the option to turn your Bluetooth connection on or off. 4. How can I install Bluetooth? Find and tap the Bluetooth device you want to pair. If you pair a new Bluetooth device with your Android, the device name will show up under the "Available devices" heading. Just tap the device name to connect. Make sure your Bluetooth device is also turned on and in the pairing mode. 5. Can you add Bluetooth to a desktop computer? Getting a Bluetooth adapter for your PC is the easiest way to add Bluetooth functionality to a desktop or laptop. You don't have to open your computer to install it, installing a Bluetooth card or anything like that. Bluetooth dongle uses USB, so they plug into your laptop outside via an open USB port.
So we are towards the end of the article and so dear readers we think we have provided you with most of the help like the troubleshooting ideas when your Bluetooth connection is not so strong or how to pair up external Bluetooth device to your computer or the essential drivers that you will need to install the Bluetooth and many more. Well, you can do any related query with your Bluetooth in this article and help yourself on your own.
NSS Laptop Service Center:
While you cannot fix it yourself, you can always look for manual help. When looking for someone to manually repair your computer, you can always look for NSS Laptop Service Center, this is the best place and trustworthy with all your laptop and electronic gadgets. You can also search them online on http://www.nsslaptopservicecenter.in/. They provide you with doorstep facilities like booking, repair, delivery, and for a full diagnosis. They also provide you with cash on delivery so if it helps you can look for your computer when arrived and then give them the money amount. They have had a great experience in working and resolving problems for a range of brands of electronic items. The services they provide include laptop repair, motherboard repair, printer repair, desktop repair etc. all these services are cost-effective. You can totally rely on this place with your laptops, desktops and many other electronic gadgets.
#findbluetoothconnectivity #fixbluetoothproblems #BluetoothError #howtoconnectbluetoothdevices