Laptop repair or replace: what should I do? This is probably the most common question that arises in everyone's mind after the laptop warranty ends. Because that's not just a matter of money but several other factors as well. The right question is, is it easier for me to maintain the old one after laptop repair or replace is the better option for me. When you are eager to smell a new laptop and make up your mind, the question is different. In that case, no logic applies to the laptop repair or replace decisions, and you must go for what you want if the budget permits. But if that's not the case, let's clarify some details here.
A Cost-effective decision for laptop repair or replace: a detailed comparison.
The first priority is always the laptop repair or replace cost. So, we will dissect that point depending on several factors we face.
When replace is the better option among laptop repair or replace choices.
- Serious Issue: Search for the problem. Troubleshoot through your OS to get an idea or error message that tells you about your PC's health. If the problem is a Serious deal in the motherboard and it took down several sections along with it, it is better to replace the PC than waste time on the repair.
- 50% Rule: There is a popular rule of 50%, which says that if the repair charge exceeds the 50% price of the new model you desire, you should vote for a replacement. Justified. But, there is a catch, it doesn't tell you properly about the hidden costs your new PC is going to charge you later. We discussed it later.
- Your Location: This also plays a crucial role in it. Generally, laptop repair can take more than the usual time, if some parts are required to be replaced. And if you live in a remote place, this time increases more. For that period, you must check the impact of downtime of your production. Will you be able to manage your work without your laptop for that long? If not, and if the repair budget is way too high from what you expected, you should check a new one and then compare these factors from your perspective.
- Refurbished Laptops: You can always find authentic stores that offer you an almost new but Refurbished model similar to the one you currently have, or a better one. Or you can also buy one from a trusted source you know well. Make sure you can completely trust the source. In this way, you don't have to wait for a repair or break your bank on a new laptop you are not ready to buy now.
And please don't identify the word "refurbished" with used products, they are not, at least not always, it's a half-truth. Sometimes people just return a device only for its design or some minor factors. Whatever the situation, these products re-emerge on the market only after fixing the small issues (if needed), upgrading, renovating, and then passing through tests. So, it's always better to go for a refurbished laptop than buying a brand new one. It's your little participation to reduce some of the electronic waste. Besides, some trusted stores even let you customize a new model. Great, isn't it? Especially when you need some specific features but not the others coming along with it.
So, here are six points to select refurbished models over your laptop repair or replace decision:
- Customizable (sometimes)
- Under Warranty
- Thoroughly tested and testified
- The desire for a New Device: If the smell of New electronic gadgets or laptops revives you and you can't wait to experiment on the new hardware and software field, you are ready for your next-gen laptop. When you have the right budget, why wait? But then again, I'm guessing you don't belong to that group yet. How do I know? Simple. You are reading this particular article to find out the laptop repair or replace cost. Or, maybe I'm wrong. Whatever, you still have another choice to meet both ends. Right? Forgot about the refurbished models already? Check out here.
When to choose repair among laptop repair or replace options.
- Cheaper models may not have the required components: You can always find a Cheaper new model equivalent to your repair cost. But they will make trouble later, and soon. Because they are not sturdy enough to tackle a day-long intense work pressure, and hence, can't serve your purpose. Besides, they may not host the high-end features you used before.
If your current model is itself a cheaper one, your laptop repair cost will also reduce a lot compared to the high-end models. In that case, the laptop repair or replace decision is simple. The 50% rule applies well here.
- Check reviews before buying a new laptop: If you are about to buy a Recently launched laptop that hasn't even acquired much of a customer review, Be aware. Sometimes, it happens that a specific model comes on the market with a particular drawback that the company stops producing them very soon. It's not a likely condition though, at least don't buy it just to avoid repairing your old one.
- Warranty still available: If you are under Warranty, there is no confusion about the laptop repair or replace decision. Here, the effort of waiting is worth it. Still, I must say that if you are contacting the OEM (Original Equipment Manufacturer) for a replacement laptop, it may feel eons while waiting. Without a substitute laptop or similar means, you can't survive. If you are in a real hurry, you can try other service centers like ours for minor issues. It may cost you a bit more, but you have to decide what's more expensive time or money. Or, you must not leave the old laptop before using the new one for a while.
- Extendable Warranty: If you can extend your Warranty for the present laptop, you should try to milk your device as long as you can for the same reason we discussed above.
- Minor problems: When the problem is Insignificant. That said, after an entire diagnostic, you found out that the laptop repair cost is not such a big deal for you. In that case, you should stick with your present laptop for now and end the discussion of laptop repair or replace conflict.
Here, you should know that there are three issues more severe than the others. These are the highest-level data recovery, almost burnt out or mostly damaged motherboard, and the screen. But then again, the screen can't rip your pocket off if it's not a very high-end laptop model. And there, the ratio of screen replacement to the entire laptop replacement with similar or higher specs is similar to the other cases when you have a regular model. The same is applied to the motherboard also. But the data recovery is a different aspect. It can cost you a lot if your hard disk is totally damaged or you need a RAID recovery or similar. Other than that, you are good. I mean, your laptop repair cost will be lesser among laptop repair or replace costs.
- Longer time to replace: Not only repair but in some cases, laptop replacement may take a longer time than you think. Suppose, you need a high-end laptop or a customized one that isn't available nearby. In that case, you have to wait for the manufacturer to build and then send it to you. It takes even more time when you live in some remote areas. Now, you have to decide if the time is worth waiting or you should choose repair between the laptop repair or replace decisions.
- Repair service warranty: before you choose any laptop repair service, you must check if they provide you with the protection of at least 30-90 days of Warranty or not. Otherwise, no one knows how it will sustain even after the fix. Therefore, always choose a service which takes some responsibility for your laptop, otherwise don't.
- Good customer Review about quick services: it's a no-brainer. Unless a large group of customers testifies to the service quality, you can never know the quality of service. And ask them about the time they need to fix your device. Because time is the most expensive commodity these days, it plays a pivotal role in determining a laptop repair or replace.
- Ask for a free quote and check the service provider's knowledge: Yes, that is also important. You must ask for a free quote before you decide anything. Any reputable repair service provider will give you a precise estimate along with the reasons so that you can determine whether to go for a laptop repair or replace it right away.
And check how knowledgeable they are in this field. If they are updated and trained regularly or not. Because the electronic world is advancing every second, creating more sophisticated machines day by day. So, without proper knowledge, your service provider may even harm your device more than fixing it. The confidence is itself not enough. You must ask them about how the maintenance could extend your device's life or what's the better suggestion for your laptop's current condition. If the repair cost is higher, you shouldn't ignore these questions before indulging in service directly. You can even ask around at least in two to three places before deciding the best option. After all, without proper knowledge, how could you expect to make the right decision between laptop repair or replace.
- Check the resale value for the future: That's another thing, yes. It would be best to learn about the device's resale value in the future before you invest in repairing the device now. How long it can last and then how much you can return from it, you must add all these in your calculation. After you get the whole picture, calculate the laptop repair or replace the cost and then decide.
- Check DIY Tips: sometimes, you can fix your device yourself with some little help. But that's always a risky way if you are experimenting for the first time or so.
- Keep Data back-up: After your research ends and you decide to repair between laptop repair or replace options, there remains some more work for you to finish. It's data backup. You must check if the service provider does the same or not. But it's always better to keep your personal data in your hand rather than letting others do that for you.
- Hidden expenses of a new laptop: Yes, there are lots of them. Let's look at them so that you can get the complete idea to decide on laptop repair or replace:
- Virus or Malware attack: If you don't check what's preventing your laptop from running fast, you may end up ruining the fun of enjoying a new laptop. It is possible that some virus or malware may be slowing down your old device. In that case, before taking any expert advice, if you purchase a new device and pour all the old data into it, the harmful viruses may work the same way they did in the old one. Therefore, our recommendation goes to a proper diagnosis before concluding the laptop repair or replace argument.
- Time-consuming: Pretty much everyone knows about it. You may need a day or two at least to configure a new device and make it work for you. Firstly, you need to install all the required software, then the data you were using on the old one, and also it takes a lot of time configuring external devices such as routers and printers to start working as before.
Besides, if you are doing it for the first time without any help, who knows how much time it will take before you get frustrated. Before you reach that point, it's better to ask for some help. Not available? Then you need professional assistance. Right? That is not only time but some more bucks you may have to shell out Again. Are you ready to shell out all these resources? Please think before you jump into a decision of laptop repair or replace.
- Activation license: When you are buying a whole new PC, you already know that most software licenses won't work on that as they did in the old one, including the OS. Do you still have them? If not, be prepared to buy them too, including the savings for all the necessary hardware upgrades (if any), accessories, and shipping and tax charges. It's better to add them all up before making up your mind on laptop repair or replace decisions.
- Required specifications: Yes, you must have already thought about it. If you don't have a sufficient budget to purchase the new model with enough specs you used before, no cheaper model can help you in the long haul. Are you thinking about upgrading it later? Well, think again. How long can you hold it back before saving some more bucks for it? And if that's the idea, why don't you check for some more uplifting of the old one? If it's not too old to sustain them, you may not have to worry much about the cost of laptop repair or replace anymore.
The age decides if you should run for a laptop repair or replace it.
Age - this is another crucial factor that impacts your decision of a laptop repair or replace idea. Let's discuss it through some questions.
When to Replace
- Too old to repair: How old is it? Below 5 years or more than that? Although 5-7 years is the average lifespan for most laptops or computers, you should know that it doesn't fall for the same rule in every situation. Sometimes, age is just a number if you have used it cautiously. It doesn't work alone unless you add up the usage pattern. Such that, a very hectic regular use may eat up the efficiency soon and also occasional use can do the same. But every machine slows down with time and reaches its expiry date. But it depends on how you treat it for the entire lifespan.
Generally, high-end devices last long as they are built to work hard anyway. But if you are some tech-savvy guy who is already attached to the device, it's a common trend for you to upgrade the machine as long as you can. However, there remains a risk, as well. After 7-8 years, you may not find supportable components for the old one, or it may whine in so many ways, that it's better to let it go than postpone the decision of laptop repair or replace anymore. Otherwise, you can 'Frankenstein' it as long as it cooperates with your speed preference. Try a factory reset, SSD upgrade, RAM upgrade, advanced OS installation, or Virus or malware removal and anti-malware installation. Then check the speed. Who knows, it may work better than some newer whining machine with a litany of issues!
- Older one can't support the new software: Too old means no compatibility with your required latest software. Even if you force that one, it may slow down the system at a significant level. So, it's better to ask for expert advice about the right decision if you are confused. Don't have enough budget? There is a solution again. Go for a refurbished model from a reputed store, and you may get all the features you want under the savings you currently have.
- At least two more features in the new one: If you are willing to give up the old companion for a shiny new one, you should check the features before that. It is generally advised that at least two more features in your new partner are worth the expense. Otherwise, you may not even feel it as new as it looks, isn't it?
When to Repair
- Less than 5 Years old: When it's less than 5 years, there are plenty of chances that you can upgrade it better than a new one. After all, it's your preference. But whatever you choose, choose wisely. Even your new model may not last very long. So, it's better to squeeze the juice out of the old one before giving it up. However, if your research tells you that the performance may not gear up much, it's time to replace it rather than getting any more headaches on laptop repair or replace decisions. Please do not buy an OS license or anti-virus for the old one unless you know it to work better for sure.
- Hardware or software upgrades increase the resale value and speed: Once again, based on the age, check the total price of your hardware and software upgrade and then calculate the resale value of the old device. If it seems better than purchasing a new laptop right now, you must fix it rather than eyeing on the shiny label anymore.
The purpose of a laptop tells you to go for a laptop repair or replace it.
The purpose matters. Because hard-core computer or laptop users are always in need of the best performance and speed. But everyday users may not need to think much if it's just a media center or ordinary internet surfing you are concerned about.
When to Replace
- Require new software compatible with modern hardware: As we talked about before, when your required software demands modern resources, you have no option but to bite the bullet and replace the device. But that also happens after 4-5 years at least.
- The professional work is slowing down performance: Have you got a promotion recently, or is the workload doubled? Whatever it is, your laptop is now unable to pace with your work speed. Or maybe a day-long work schedule is ending up in sluggish performance or even slowing down the boot-up process. Check if any upgrade is available for that or not. Older than 5 years, you may need a new laptop. Better not to waste any more time on making up the laptop repair or replace decision.
- The new one is offering subscriptions for your professional software: Now, you are in a situation where you need an expensive subscription for your work, and a new model is luring you to that. Moreover, your old one is whining here and there. Should you wait for a laptop repair or replace it immediately? Ok, check the age of your current device. Check the total expenditure of repair and add it with the subscription cost. How long will it sustain the old one? Have you got any idea of the resale value of the old one? If Repair + Subscription - Resale Value is less than 50% of the new laptop price, you should still think of a repair, otherwise not. After all, holding back for 1 or 2 years is also more reasonable than engaging it before that. Aren't you going to count the return from that for 2 years? That would be a proper financial decision, isn't it?
When to Repair
- Regular ordinary work: If it's a media center for you or you rarely use it for some email checking, internet surfing, or some video streaming, one or two small fixes are worth spending. Think about it. Why would someone want to spend on a whole new laptop if you are not getting any return out of it? Again, you have money, and you have a desire to collect new electronics; ok, take the plunge! No one's gonna stop you on the laptop repair or replace argument anymore.
- Still have the activation codes for the programs you use: Have you recently bought some software or an OS license? Now, your laptop has started acting weird. Try not to buy a new device until you can use the old one's license without investing more. Get a quote. And if your license can be replaced too with the new laptop, go for it. Then stay cautious not to misplace it, eh? Whatever you do, always check the price of repair, the age of the old one, and then calculate the new laptop price before concluding on the laptop repair or replace discussion.
- Clean the machine: Use Windows Troubleshooter or free software like CCleaner to check your old laptop's health status. Take some help if needed; that won't cost you much. The health condition will tell you whether to go for a laptop repair or replace is the better option. If possible, update the drivers, update OS and browser to see the performance and then decide.
Cleaning fans and others may stop the excessive heat build-up you were blaming on the laptop's age. That said, you must be assured that the laptop isn't in any condition to last for long before you add your precious companion to the trash.
I wish I could tell you precisely what to do. But that's not possible unless you know the detailed condition of the old laptop and the owner's budget and other preferences too. So, it's always a complicated decision depending on so many factors. It's just the same as diagnosing a critical condition of a patient, right? The only difference is that there is no replacement for a human being, whereas you can decide for a laptop repair or replace, whether you want it or not.
Well, we have tried to solve your confusion here with three basic ideas, but for an exact solution, you must let our experts know the complete situation. And we are confident to provide the right suggestion to return your smile back on the face. Come to us with all your queries and suggestions too. Let's try together, shall we?