In the contemporary world, every one of us loves to possess a MacBook. MacBook's have become a reliable workload reducer in our lives. They have become a perfect partner to accompany us on our daily journey of hectic works. MacBook Air trackpad is indeed a wonderful thing. It is essentially an internal mouse which comes with amazing extended functions. Simple trackpad gestures accompany you to efficiently use the MacBook. Knowing the trackpad shortcuts can make things a lot easier for you. While purchasing a MacBook you opt to ease off your various computing necessities. So everything is going pretty well, but what if this dependable device starts showing irresponsible behaviour. Being an electronic device, it is sure to betray your trust at one point of time. Your stress levels increase as the trackpad which seemed so perfect has stopped working. When the trackpad is not working properly, you don't feel like using your MacBook at all. Here is a quick guide about How to Fix MacBook Air Trackpad. Obviously, you don't want to go to an authorised Apple service centre for repairing your trackpad in the first place. This will definitely be your last option as you need to think about your pockets too. Along with the increased work pressure, money issues also makes you frustrated. So if you are wondering what is the problem with your MacBook Air trackpad and how could you fix it, then you have arrived at the perfect place. In this article, we will discuss the various methods to answer How to Fix MacBook Air Trackpad effectively.
Why the Trackpad is Not Working?
How can we jump to the various fixing trackpad strategies without knowing the cause of the problem? So before looking for the techniques, we should be well aware of the reasons which cause the MacBook air trackpad issues. Let's see the possible reasons why your trackpad is not working:
- The hardware is corrupted
- The software is corrupted.
Issues with trackpad basically includes either the hardware or software faults. If there are tough problems with the trackpad, then fixing could be a little time-consuming task. Nevertheless troubleshooting the issues is a very crucial work to do which should be done with utmost accuracy.
How to Fix MacBook Air Trackpad Issues
Let's look at the different troubleshooting methods to fix your MacBook air trackpad.
Clean the Trackpad Efficiently
Yes! You heard it right. Apple recommends cleaning the trackpad if it shows unresponsive behaviour. Firstly, you must check whether your trackpad is clean or not. If it is not clean, you can use a cloth which is lint-free and soft. Moisten the cloth with water for effective cleaning. The normal operation of the trackpad could be affected if minute amounts of lotion or oil from your fingers get transferred to it. So, cleaning should be done very precisely and carefully.
The moisture and jewellery present in your hands can interfere with the working of your trackpad. If your trackpad doesn't get fixed with a simple cleaning process, it's time to become tech-savvy.
Check for the MacOS Updates
When did you last update your system? Maybe you were so busy with the important tasks that you forgot to update the system which caused issues in the trackpad. It is quite simple to check the available updates, but some users don't get a chance to update the latest version of drivers, operating systems and firms.
Outdated operating systems can affect the working of MacBook air trackpad. There are two methods of checking the updates:
- For checking the available updates, you need to visit the App Store. Then click on the Updates icon present at the window top. If updates are available, click on the Update option
- Go to system preferences. From the third row select the Software update Then, choose the Update now option for updating your MacOS system.
The MacBook can automatically check for updates. It makes your work easier as the workload on your shoulders lessens. For doing this, go to the app store. Select the System Preferences option. And finally, click on "Automatically check for updates" icon.
Reset PRAM or NVRAM
Very often internal interactions between various programs result in technical issues. Trackpad not working properly could be one of those problems. And that's why resetting NVRAM/PRAM could benefit you in fixing the problem.
The model of your MacBook determines whether it uses PRAM (Parameter Random Access Memory) or NVRAM( Non-volatile Random Access Memory). Both NVRAM and PRAM serve the similar function of storing data related to display resolution, new kernel panic information, sound volume and many more. The resetting procedure for both of them is same and it may troubleshoot your unresponsive MacBook Air trackpad. Follow the given steps to reset PRAM as well as NVRAM:-
- Firstly shut down the MacBook.
- Then, turn it on and simultaneously hold press the four keys: Command, Option, P and R before the appearance of the grey screen.
- Approximately after 20 seconds, you will hear the reboot sound. Release these for keys and your MacBook will restart afterwards. For MacBook with the new version which have T2 security chip, instead of reboot sound, an apple logo appears. In this case, the keys should be released after the appearance of Apple logo second time.
- Here is the List of Apple Authorised Service Center in Indore
- Here is the List of Apple Authorised Service Center in Noida
- Here is the List of Apple Authorised Service Center in Faridabad
Delete the "Property list files"
Property list files or .plist files are used for the storage of user preference files which are associated with the software. These files store the data and different settings about various applications and bundles which are installed on your device. This is a risky method of fixing your MacBook air trackpad as deletion of these files resets the trackpad back to the normal factory settings. It leads to the recreation of new files by MacBook.
Well sometimes, the only option left is to start from new. Prior to deleting these files, you must backup your MacBook with Time Machine. The following steps help you in deleting the Property list files which are linked to your trackpad:-
- Open Finder.
- Next, open the Go menu.
- Select the Go to folder.
- In this menu entry, write "Library/Preferences".Click on Go option.
- Search for the given files which are focused on MacBook trackpads:
- apple.driver.AppleBluetoothMultitouch.trackpad.plist (Magic Trackpad)
- If any of the above files are present, delete them.
- Restart your MacBook afterwards.
Disconnect any connected device
This isn't an important technique to perform. But when nothing else works, you can try this option as well. A Bluetooth mouse or a wireless mouse connected to your MacBook can cause potential issues to MacBook Air trackpad.
For once, try disconnecting all the external devices from your machine. After disconnecting, reboot your MacBook. Hopefully, it can make a difference in the working of the trackpad.
Check the MacBook battery and hardware
Sometimes the MacBook battery can become the core of your How to Fix MacBook Air Trackpad issue. The swelling of the battery can cause problems in working of the trackpad. Try removing and replacing the battery and check whether your trackpad starts working.
How to Fix MacBook Air Trackpad Settings
You need to check whether you are using the most pertinent trackpad settings on your MacBook or not. The various problems and associated settings which can be checked and rectify the issue How to Fix MacBook Air Trackpad are:-
If the pointer is erratic
Often, the cursor of your trackpad becomes over-responsive and you ask Google How to Fix MacBook Air Trackpad. Sometimes it quickly flies over the screen and at times it needs to be dragged with efforts. In either case, the fault is of cursor tracking speed. To adjust the cursor tracking speed, you need to go through these steps:-
- Go to System preferences.
- Choose trackpad and then go to Tracking speed.
- Choose a tracking speed according to your needs. Most of the users prefer middle settings usually.
If your trackpad has become totally unresponsive, seeming like a dead animal, then few system settings can help you out. Unresponsive behaviour doesn't necessarily mean that it's a crucial underlying problem. Firstly, be sure that your system doesn't have any physical mouse connected with it. Check the Bluetooth and USB connections and try removing them.
- Here is the List of Apple Authorised Service Center in Mumbai
- Here is the List of Apple Authorised Service Center in Delhi
- Here is the List of Apple Authorised Service Center in Gurugram
If your trackpad starts working after the removal of an external mouse, then simply change the settings on you MacBook. For changing the settings, go through these steps:-
- Go to System Preferences. Then choose Accessibility and afterwards Mouse and trackpad option.
- Untick the checkbox which is present next to ignore built-in trackpad when mouse or wireless trackpad is present.
- After this setting, you can easily use the trackpad while the mouse is also connected to your MacBook trackpad.
Read Also: MacBook Screen Replacement Cost in India
If the double click of your trackpad is not working
The How to Fix MacBook Air Trackpad issues can be of different types and one of them are double click not working. Double-clicking is indeed very useful to users with super-swift fingers. For adjusting the double click speed, go through these steps:-
- Go to the System Preferences. Select the Accessibility option.
- Choose the Mouse and trackpad option.
- Next, adjust the level of double click speed.
Generally, average users prefer the halfway speed but you can also go for a slower speed. You can also check the other less important settings by undertaking the given steps:-
- From the menu bar, select the Apple logo.
- Click on System Preferences and choose Trackpad.
- Check all the relevant settings in the given trackpad settings window like:-
- Point and click the tab
- Scroll and zoom tab
- More gestures ran
Temporary Work Arounds When Nothing Works?
Still if all the above fixes doesn't found you the solution for How to Fix MacBook Air Trackpad, then try these temporary fixes.
- Temporarily disable your MacBook air trackpad. For some time, instead of a trackpad, you can use an external mouse.
- Make use of an external trackpad. Similar to your MacBook's trackpad, comes the Apple Magic Trackpad. Its performance is analogous to your original MacBook trackpad.
This article has covered the different methods and strategies which are beneficial for fixing your MacBook air trackpad. These are the few most important and credible techniques which you can perform to fix your MacBook air trackpad. If these strategies don't work and the problems still persist, then the problem could be in your trackpad hardware. Now when all the above techniques result in defeat, then it's time to take your MacBook trackpad to a reliable service centre. Numerous third-party service centres are present to provide trackpad fixing services.
NSS Laptop Service Center
Trackpad troubles are always frustrating and high cost. If you are in a situation where you are searching How to Fix MacBook Air Trackpad, then undoubtedly you may come to NSS laptop service center provider's laptop service providers are here to rescue you from this unnecessary burden. They provide quality support and assistance in troubleshooting your trackpad problems. NSS laptop service centres can be your one-stop solution for all your MacBook related problems. NSS laptop service assures you swift and prompt service. They provide door-step delivery with your repaired device. Fixing your trackpad becomes super easy with their credible services.
- Here is the List of Apple Authorised Service Center in Kolkata
- Here is the List of Apple Authorised Service Center in Vadodara
- Here is the List of Apple Authorised Service Center in Bhopal
Macbook Trackpad Solution | Macbook air Trackpad Trouble Shooting Tips | Fix Trackpad Not Working | Macbook air Replace Trackpad | Replace Macbook Air Trackpad | macbook air trackpad not working | macbook air touchpad not working | macbook air trackpad not clicking |