If there is any great tool that has revolutionized the IT world and has made troubleshooting and peer reviews more easily, it is the ability to screenshot your screen so that images can be shared and uploaded. Also, when it comes to performing a screenshot on your system, it can be online based or offline based. In this article, I will talk about how to take a screenshot on a laptop. First and foremost, before I will start this discussion in detail, there are some facts that you need to know about screenshot applications and processes.
Some Quick Facts
- The screenshot is the easiest way to save something on your laptop or PC screen. Windows users can take screenshots of their screens with several tools provided by Microsoft Windows.
- There are several keyboard combinations are available by which you can take a screenshot. The easiest option is the “Prntscr” button.
- The snipping tool is one of the best screenshot tools available for windows users which I will discuss in detail further.
- Screenshot can be taken for the entire window or just a snip of the window.
Ways to Take Screenshots on Windows
Having discussed some of the facts that you need to know about how to take screenshots on a laptop, I now want to talk about ways of the screenshot on Windows using the Snipping tool.
- A snipping tool as a screenshot tool comes with even Windows. Although its use might be different for a different version of Windows, they actually work in almost a similar manner. Whether your laptop operates on Windows Vista, Windows 7, 8, or 10, the snipping tool is an excellent integrated feature that allows you to select any-size portions of your screen for instant grabbing.
Since all Windows desktop computers come equipped with the snipping tool, the application lives within your start menu. Once accessed, these steps will lead you through a seamless 3-step screenshot process.
- Within the snipping tool application, press “New” or CTRL + N to create a new snip.
- Using the crosshair cursor, drag the cursor to make a rectangular outline of the desired area.
- Within the snipping tool toolbar, press the disk icon to save the screenshot as a PNG or JPEG file.
The snipping tool comes with a number of added perks that allow you to switch modes. In addition to the standard rectangular snip, you can snip in three other ways.
- Free-form snip allows you to capture in any shape or form. Circles, ovals, or figure 8’s are easily captured with the free-form mode.
- The window snip takes a screenshot of your active window with one easy click.
- Full-screen snip captures an entire display. This is especially handy for dual-monitor display users who want to screenshot both screens at once.
The snipping tool also features a pen and highlighter option that allows you to draw on your screenshot to make annotations and point-outs clear and easy. To use a Snipping tool, here are some of the steps to follow:
- You have to open the Snipping Tool by pressing the Start Button on your keyboard, you can also type “Snipping Tool” and then press Please note that there is no keyboard shortcut that will open the snipping tool for you.
- In order to select the area where you want to snipe, you need to press ALT + M keys and then use the arrow keys to choose free form, rectangular, Window or Full-Screen snip and then press Please note that you can only use ALT+M which is only available on Windows 10. Also, note that when making a rectangular snap, hold down “Shift” and use the arrow keys to select the area you want to snip.
- To take a new screenshot, using the same mode you used last, press ALT+N
- To save your snip, press CTRL+S keys, to copy to the clipboard, press CTRL + C
Different Keyboard Combinations
If you don’t know how to take screenshots on a laptop using the keyboard, then concentrate here. There are some of us that are very fond of using keyboard shortcuts in order to save time. Many of us feel that ample time can be saved if we can learn shortcuts that will make life easier for us.
Here are some of the shortcuts that you must know when you want to screenshot your documents or images. Here are some of the keyboard combinations that you can use.
- Print Screen Key (PrntScr)
- Windows key + Shift + S
- Alt+ Prt Scr
- Windows Key + Print Scr
- Windows Key + G
There are some issues that can come up when you need to screenshot your documents. This happens when some of the keys refused to work. I want to now tell you some of the ways that you can screenshot different types of Laptops. Let’s go.
Snagit app for taking a screenshot on laptop
Perfect for the avid annotator and photo editor, Snagit offers an easy-to-use interface and a number of added features that make screenshots a breeze. From capturing screenshots to resizing and editing them, Snagit also supports video grabbing that can record a scrolling screen. These steps will ensure you’re screen-grabbing with efficiency.
- Once downloaded, open the Snagit application.
- At the top of your screen, press the red circle button to access the screenshot camera.
- Select the camera icon for a screenshot image or the recorder icon for a screenshot video.
- Select the portion of the screen you wish to snap.
- Your desktop image will appear in the Snagit application. You can edit, annotate, resize, copy, and save the clipped image from there.
How to take Screenshot on Laptop
Different brands have different coding and functions installed in their laptops which makes it a little hard for users to take screenshots. So in this section, we will discuss how to take screenshots on laptops of different brands.
How to take a Screenshot on HP Laptop
Many of you may not know how to take a screenshot on the laptop of the HP brand. HP desktops and laptops run Windows or Chrome operating systems, which means you can snap screenshots via a simple keyboard click. Typically located at the top right of your keyboard, the Print Screen key may be abbreviated as Prntscr or Prt Scr. This button will allow you to capture your entire desktop screen.
However the captured image is not immediately saved, it’s actually copied to your computer’s clipboard. Follow these steps to turn that floating screengrab into an image file you can save.
- Press the Windows key and Print Screen at the same time to capture the entire screen. Your screen will dim for a moment to indicate a successful snapshot.
- Open an image editing program (Microsoft Paint, GIMP, Photoshop, and PaintShop Pro will all work).
- Open a new image and press CTRL + V to paste the screenshot. You can also right-click and press Paste.
- Save the file as a JPG or PNG and place it into an easily accessible folder for quick sharing.
The alternative default way for partial screen
When you don’t want to take a screenshot of your entire screen, but rather a portion of your screen on an HP Pavilion laptop, using Snip & Sketch makes selective screenshots easier than ever. Windows 10 laptops introduced the new default feature in an October 2018 update, effectively allowing users to grab portions of their screen without the need for third-party applications. These steps will guide you through the grab and save process.
- Press the Windows key + Shift + S at the same time. Your screen will fade to a white overlay and your cursor will change from a pointed cursor to a crosshair cursor.
- Select the portion of your screen that you wish to grab. The snippet will disappear from your screen and copy onto your computer’s clipboard.
- Open an image editing program.
- Open a new image and tap CTRL + V to paste the screenshot.
- Save the screenshot as a JPG or PNG file and place it into an easy access folder.
How to take a screenshot on an HP tablet
Whether your HP tablet operates on Windows or Android, figuring out how to screenshot on a tablet is a bit different than how to screenshot on an HP desktop or laptop. Instead of using keyboard buttons or integrated screenshot tools, you’ll only need to follow an easy two-step process.
- Press and hold the power button and volume down button at the same time. After about a 2 second hold, the screen will flash, indicating a screenshot has been taken.
- Go into your tablet’s photo folder to find the screenshot image.
Though your device’s integrated photo editor may have a cropping and resizing ability, it may not be as efficient as using an application that allows portioned screen grabs.
Super Screenshot allows you to select the desired area while giving you added features like text, annotations, blurring, and resizing. Super Screenshot also features an easy share button that lets you send your picture to another file location with a simple button-press process.
Whatever method you choose, the ability to screenshot means you can preserve important documents or images, whether that means you’re taking a screen grab of your movie tickets or just a funny text conversation.
2. How to Take Screenshot on DELL Laptop
If you don’t know how to take a screenshot on the laptop of dell brand then follow these 2 methods below:
- Use Snagit(Recommended)
- Take a screenshot with the Windows screenshot feature(Free but limited)
Snagit is a screenshot program with image editing and screen recording. You can use it to take a screenshot quickly, you can edit the screenshot easily with its advanced image editing tools, and you can even capture videos. Taking a screenshot with Snagit takes just a few clicks:
- Download and install Snagit.
- Run and sign in to the program, then click the Capture button.
- Hover over windows or regions to auto-select the area, and then click it to capture the area. Or click and drag to select a custom area.
- Click the camera icon on the toolbar to save your screenshot as an image.
- Edit your image on the pop-up Snagit Editor. You can add shapes, text, effects, or make adjustments to your image.
- Save your image. Or click the Share button in the upper right corner to share it.
3. How to Take Screenshot on LENOVO Laptop
Once you have invoked the built-in Snip & Sketch app in Windows 10, how to take a screenshot on the laptop of Lenovo brand with the snipping tool? Just learn more about the different snapshots with the excellent program as below.
- Press the Start button on your Lenovo computer. You can enter the Snipping command line and click on the search bar, which will show you to the Snipping Tool application.
- Once you have launched the Snipping Tool, you can click on the New button to choose the desired screenshot mode, such as the Free-form Snip, Rectangular Snip, Windows Snip, and Full-screen Snip.
- After that, you can click and drag your mouse to select a certain area of your screen. Then release the mouse button. In the pop-up window, you can click the Save Snip icon to save the custom screenshot.
4. How to Take Screenshot on SONY Laptop
How to take a screenshot with your Sony VAIO laptop in one easy step? Simply press the Windows logo key and the Print Screen key at the same time. Your screenshot will automatically save to the Screenshots folder in the Pictures library of your laptop.
Method 1: Windows logo key+ PrntScr
Simply press the Windows logo key and the Print Screen key at the same time. Your screenshot will automatically save to the Screenshots folder in the Pictures library of your laptop.
Method 2: Use the Snip & Sketch
- Click inside the search bar at the bottom of your screen and type "snip."
- Click on the Snip & Sketch app to open it.
- Open the content you want to screenshot. Then, in the Snip & Sketch window, click "New." Click and drag the shape of the screenshot as desired. Once you lift your finger off the mouse, the screenshot will appear in the Snip & Sketch window and you will be able to edit it.
- On a window laptop, open the Page you would like to take a screenshot on
- On your keyboard, tap the [Prntscr] button once, this should capture the screen
- Open an image editing program such as paint
- Paste the screenshot using the Ctrl and V buttons on your keyboard
- Save the file
The first method is fairly easy to understand. In order to take a screenshot, tapping onto the Prntscr button just once should do the trick. If that does not work, your system may require you to click and hold on to the Control (Ctrl) button located at the bottom left of the keyboard and click the Print Screen (Prntscr) button that can be found near to the top right corner of the keyboard, at the same time, of any laptop or desktop computer to take the screenshot.
In order to view the screenshot, the user has to open paint or any document and press Ctrl+V to paste the screenshot to view the content that was captured. This is the simplest method to capture a screen if the information displayed does not allow the user to copy and paste the information.
Method 3: Use the Keyboard Shortcut: Windows+ Prntscr
How to take screenshots on the laptop (Sony) using the keyboard shortcut? It is a more intuitive way of taking a screenshot on a Sony Laptop. Even though the Prntscr button alone is enough to take the screenshot, what is interesting about taking a screenshot this way is that it guarantees that the screenshot was taken and saved. The user simply has to hold onto the Windows button and the Prntscr button together to complete the screenshot process.
The screen will flash immediately ensuring the user that the screenshot was taken and saved automatically. It is especially used when the task at hand is sensitive and needs a definite assurance that the screen and its content were captured. A screenshot taken this way can be easily found in the Pictures section of a computer where the screenshot is saved in a folder called Screenshots as well.
5. How to Take Screenshot on ACER Laptop
If you want to learn how to take screenshots on the laptop of the Acer brand then pay attention here. The Snipping Tool is easily found in any Acer Laptop. It is a special capturing tool especially provided by windows which can be found in any version of Windows OS. Not only does this tool help you to take a screenshot, but also crops the screenshot taken to eliminate unwanted parts of the content that has been captured. So, if you wish to take advantage of this neat little application, you need to press the Windows key on your keyboard.
On the search box, type “SNIPPING TOOL“. The results will appear and simply click on the Snipping Tool application. A window will app where a range of screenshot features will appear from a Free-Form, Rectangular, Window, or Full-Screen snip will appear which the conventional Prntscr option for taking screenshots do not have. Furthermore, the Snipping Tool has delayed response in which an area can be selected to take a screenshot within one to five seconds. The snipping tool has a few advantages over a general screenshot option such as scrolling screenshots, creating GIFs, and saving to library options.
6. How to Take Screenshot on ASUS Laptop
Steps for how to take a screenshot on Laptop of Asus Brand:-
- Use the Keyboard Shortcut On Windows: PrntScn (Print Screen) or CTRL+ PrntScn
- Method 2: Use the Keyboard Shortcut: Windows+ PrntScn
- Method 3: Using the “Snipping Tool”
- Method 4: Using Extensions/Plugin
- Bottom Line
7. How to Take Screenshot on TOSHIBA Laptop
Follow the steps given below, if you don’t know how to take a screenshot on the laptop of Toshiba brand
- Locate the Print Screen key on your laptop’s keyboard. It will probably be located in the top right of the keyboard, and Print Screen might be abbreviated to PrntScr or something similar. In addition, there is a pretty good chance that Print Screen is not the primary function of the key that says Print Screen or PrntScr or whatever applies to it, and is instead the secondary one.
- Press and hold the Fn (Function) key. Doing so causes your laptop to register the secondary functions of any key you press instead of their primary ones.
- With the Fn key held, press the Print Screen or PrntScr As soon as you do so, a screenshot of everything on your screen apart from your mouse pointer at the exact moment you pressed the Print Screen key will be taken and saved to your computer’s clipboard.
8. How to Take Screenshot on APPLE Laptop
These are the steps to follow if you don’t know how to take a screenshot on a Laptop of an Apple brand:-
- To take a screenshot of the entire screen, press Shift-Command-3.
- To take a screenshot of part of the screen, press Shift-Command-4 and then drag the cursor to outline the area you want to capture.
- If you want to capture a specific window, press Shift-Command-4. Hit the spacebar. The cursor will turn into a camera. Hover the cursor over the window you want to capture so it highlights, and then click on it.
How to take a screenshot on a Laptop with Linux
Do you want to capture the image of your entire screen in Linux? A specific region? A specific window? If you just want a simple screenshot without any annotations/fancy editing capabilities, the default keyboard shortcuts will do the trick. These are not specific to Ubuntu. Almost all Linux distributions and desktop environments support these keyboard shortcuts.
Let’s take a look at the list of keyboard shortcuts you can utilize for How to take screenshots on a Laptop:
- PrntScr – Save a screenshot of the entire screen to the “Pictures” directory.
- Shift + PrntScr – Save a screenshot of a specific region to Pictures.
- Alt + PrntScr – Save a screenshot of the current window to Pictures.
- Ctrl + PrntScr – Copy the screenshot of the entire screen to the clipboard.
- Shift + Ctrl + PrntScr – Copy the screenshot of a specific region to the clipboard.
- Ctrl + Alt + PrntScr – Copy the screenshot of the current window to the clipboard.
As you can see, taking screenshots in Linux is absolutely simple with the default screenshot tool. However, if you want to immediately annotate (or other editing features) without importing the screenshot to another application, you can use a dedicated screenshot tool.
Ways to take screenshots on MAC
Steps for how to take screenshots on Mac Laptop:-
- Press and hold these keys together: Shift, Command, 4, and Space bar. The pointer changes to a camera icon. To cancel taking the screenshot, press the Esc (Escape) key.
- Click the window or menu to capture it. To exclude the window's shadow from the screenshot, press and hold the Option key while you click.
- If you see a thumbnail in the corner of your screen, click it to edit the screenshot. Or wait for the screenshot to save to your desktop.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. Where to find screenshots
So far after knowing How to take screenshots on Laptop, it is important to know the location where they are saved. By default, screenshots save to your desktop with the name ”Screen Shot [date] at [time].png.” In macOS Mojave or later, you can change the default location of saved screenshots from the Options menu in the Screenshot app. You can also drag the thumbnail to a folder or document. Aside from the normal steps that I have mentioned above, you can also screenshot on your computers by installing some screenshot extensions. These are like plugins that can work with Google Chrome and other browsers that you might have chosen. You just need to follow the normal step as if you are installing an application. Please note that these extensions also work by pressing the Ptr Scr button on your keyboard. Some examples include:
- Nimbus Screenshot Extension
- Lightshot extension
- Page Screenshot
They are all very easy to use and have separate installations mostly for Mac and Windows OS. You can Google it and visit their page. Then you choose the appropriate one for your system.
2. How can I use screenshots?
Screenshots aren’t just handy, they’re also revolutionary to getting more work done, faster. So after learning How to take screenshots on Laptop, here are 3 Ways Screenshots Can Help You Get More Work Done
1. Collaborate with Others
Does your co-worker want your input on a new webpage they’ve put together? Or do they need you to look over a brochure they’re having printed? Instead of writing a lengthy email with edits, take a screenshot and wow your co-worker with excellent, efficient feedback. Marking up design concepts onscreen is faster and more effective than a wordy email.
2. Demonstrate How to Perform a Function
Don’t just tell. Show. Demonstrate exactly what you’re talking about with a screenshot.
By using a screenshot that shows exactly what you mean, there’s less chance that you’ll be misunderstood. And that means less confusion, less time explaining, and more time back in your day.
For example, explain to a new employee how to log in. Instead of telling them, you can quickly send them a screenshot that they can reference again and again without having to repeatedly ask you. A screenshot with numbered steps is quick to make and easy to understand
3. Show Exactly What’s Happening
If you’ve ever contacted your IT or Web Support Team to report a bug, you’ve likely been asked to provide a screenshot. That’s because not everyone’s computer is the same. Depending on your machine, the operating system it’s running, the browser version you’re on, the way something appears for you could be completely different for others. Providing a visual example of what you’re looking at helps others see exactly what’s going on and identify what might be going wrong.
A screenshot of an error message helps avoid confusion by showing someone exactly what you’re seeing.
The best part about screenshots? They’re easy! As Buffer notes, screenshots are powerful yet simple to use. In fact, it only takes a second to make a screenshot.
So start using screenshots today, and download a free trial of Snagit now.
3. How to capture a portion of the screen
How to take screenshots on Laptop is different from capturing a portion of the screen. To capture a portion of a screen follows these steps:
- Press and hold these three keys together: Shift, Command, and 4.
- Drag the crosshair to select the area of the screen to capture. To move the selection, press and hold the Space bar while dragging. To cancel taking the screenshot, press the Esc (Escape) key.
- To take the screenshot, release your mouse or trackpad button.
- If you see a thumbnail in the corner of your screen, click it to edit the screenshot. Or wait for the screenshot to save to your desktop.
So far, I have tried to look at different ways for How to take screenshots on Laptop. I also want to say that when it comes to online screenshot options, there are online tools that you can use which also allows you to share a URL when it comes to online troubleshooting. Some of the sites that provide these services include screenshot.net, screenshot.guruweb-capture.net among others. You just have to go for what you are comfortable with.
NSS Laptop Service Center
If you are in India and there is an issue with your Laptop, you can always get all the assistance you need from experts. You can always count on NSS Laptop Service Centre. They are an award-winning Laptop Repair Centre Near Me with an excellent team and a very convenient repair process that you can rely on. They also give 30 days guarantee on any services that they are rendering to you as a customer. You can visit their website to have a chat with them https://www.nsslaptopservicecenter.com.
#screenshot #ScreenshotPC #printscreen #HowToScreenshot #PCscreenshot #TakeScreenshot #screenshotapplications
Meta Tags of this blog: how to take screenshot in laptop , how to take screenshot on laptop , how to screenshot on laptop , take screenshot on laptop , how to screenshot in laptop , how to screenshot on acer laptops , how to snip on hp laptop , how to take screenshot in hp laptop , how to screenshot on hp , how to take a screenshot in hp laptop windows 7 , how to screenshot on a sony laptop , how to take laptop screenshot , take screenshot in laptop how to take screenshot in dell laptop , make snagit default print screen , how to take screenshot in laptop windows 7 , how to take screenshot from laptop , how to take a screenshot on acer laptop , how to take picture of laptop screen , how to take a screenshot on sony laptop , how to screenshot image on laptop