Here you will find all the topics and information related to laptops and PCs. Today our topic is How can we activate function keys in dell laptops? Before we continued with this topic we have to understand "what are function keys in laptops"? Function keys are those keys on the keyboard on the topside which perform various specific functions on the PCs and laptops. These are also called shortcuts keys and F keys. Functional keys can operate many specific tasks like ;
• Printing a document
•Copy any text
• Paste any text
• Saving a document etc.
F1, F2, F5, and F12 are some important keys that are known as function keys. There are a total of 12 function keys on a keyboard of a PC and laptop. Function keys take the topmost side of the keyboard and lie in the first horizontal row. Specific Function keys perform certain functions on the keyboard to the laptop. We can input the functions by pressing different function keys( from F1 to F12) and the output comes with a laptop and PC.
F1 Fn (Function key) used for - Opens Help and support window to different programs on the laptop.
F2 Function key used in Renaming any file or document.
F3 function key is used to - open the "search feature" of the currently active application on the laptop. It can be used to find or search for something.
F4 function key use - when the F4 key is combined with Alt, it helps to close an active window on the laptop.
F5 Function key is used to Refresh and reload something from the web or any document, file, or page on the laptop.
F6 function key used in Highlighting the "Adress bar" from a cursor in a web browser.
F7 function key used in "Check word spell and grammar" of any document. It is mostly used in Microsoft applications such as MS Word.
F8 function key is used for turning on the "boot menu" to start the laptop and PC.
F9 function key is used in "refreshing a file or document in MS word " and " sending and receiving email messages on MS outlook".
F10 function key is used to open the main menu bar. "Shift+F10 " did the same thing.
F11 function key used in - Active enter and exit fullscreen mode of an online internet browser.
F12 function key is used to - activate the "save as dialogue box" option on MS word.
So, function keys perform various functions that's why they are also called Secondary keys. Most laptops have 12 function keys but newer versions of laptops are having 24 function keys from F1 to F24. Apple laptops have 19 function keys from F1 to F19 on the keyboard.
But these are examples of tasks that can be done with function keys. If these keys are deactivated then active these function keys on a laptop are necessary to maintain the better performance of the laptop.
In a Dell laptop, to turn on these functions keys follow these simple steps and make the task easier -:
• First active BIOS ( basic input and output system) on your dell laptop.
• Turn on your Dell laptop.
• Press the F12 function key to go on the boot main menu.
• Move the cursor to Select "BIOS system" from the list of boot main menu.
• Press enter under "BIOS system".
• The page shows you the option of Fn lock option on the setting page.
• Click on " Fn lock option".
• You will see two alternatives after entering the Fn lock option.
(i) Lock mode disable/ Standard
(ii) Lock mode enable/ Secondary
Means of lock mode disable/Standard option is to the function keys. In the case of the lock, mode disables the option to turn on the function keys will not work directly on your laptop and PC.
The means of lock mode enable / Secondary option is that you can easily activate the function keys on your laptop to perform shortcuts.
• Click on the "Lock mode enable /Secondary" option to activate function keys in the dell laptop.
• Save and Apply the changes to the setting page.
• Then Exit and shut down your laptop once.
• After rebooting the laptop you can use function keys from F1 to F12.
These are the basic steps "to enable function keys in your laptop". By following these points you can make your function keys work.
This blog contains all the data about the function keys.
- What are function keys?
- Where are function keys are located on the keyboard?
- What are the works of functions keys?
- How to activate or enable the function key option in the Dell laptop?
- How can I make the Function key turn on?
- How can I use different function keys for different works?
- Uses of F1 and F12 functional keys.
Hope this blog helps you to operate the function keys on your laptop.