Troubleshooting keyboard backlight failure
Hello Friends, hope you are doing well!
Those keyboards that have keys illuminated with some LED underneath them are Backlit keyboards. They make it easy to type even under totally dark rooms for they provide better visibility. It has become common now to have a backlit keyboard on your laptop.
The software controls Keyboard backlighting for which there could be several reasons for them not working. Due to bad software updates or hardware issues, there may be a possibility that they fail to work.
How to fix keyboard backlight not working
Like many issues, the backlight issue of your keyboard not working for your computer can be caused due to several different reasons however, not all of them might be applicable in your case. Here is the list of the most common solutions to fix the problem.
1. The first thing to do is press the FN + Spacebar to turn the backlighting OFF or ON. For different models of laptops, this key can be different. This may look different depending on the brand of laptop you own.
2. Did your keyboard backlight stop working after you made any software changes recently? If so then try uninstalling the software and see if it fixes your issue. Before installing the software the best practice is to create a System Restore Point. If you haven’t created one, restore your system to the previous state by going into the system restore settings.
3. See if it makes any difference when you try to update your BIOS and chipset drivers because sometimes drivers with different versions can cause such problems.
4. You need to change the settings from the windows keyboard properties if you are facing early backlight time-outs.
5. If you have an ASUS ATK software package then those users who are using ASUS branded laptops have reported that their keyboard backlight has failed to work after their windows were updated to Windows 10 from Windows 8 or to other versions of windows. ASUS uses its software to handle various features and gestures of their laptops and this software is called the ATK package. By updating this software package you will be able to fix this issue.
6. Hardware Fault is sometimes related to hardware issues. This may cause due to the communication ribbon of your keyboard getting damaged which causes the malfunction of the backlighting.
- Latest windows update should be uninstalled. If your windows are updated recently and facing the keyboard backlit problem when nothing else works, it is advisable to uninstall the recent update. Again by going to the settings you have to create a System Restore Point which restores your system to an older state.
Backlight not working in MacBook
Similar to Windows this issue also occurs in several MacBooks. Here we are listing some popular yet short solutions to fix this problem.
1. Firstly check whether your light sensor is directly facing some light source. In that case, your automatic keyboard backlighting will not trigger.
2. If your automatic light-sensing isn’t working properly then disable the option to adjust the keyboard brightness automatically. Then by accessing the keyboard preferences and unchecking the option you will have to control your backlighting by pressing F5 or F6 for either decreasing or increasing the brightness respectively.
3. If there is a liquid spill on your keyboard then that might cause some keyboard backlighting problem. This may require you to change your entire keyboard panel.
4. If everything else fails then there may be a possibility of a loose or bad keyboard backlit cable. You will then need to open your MacBook and check whether your backlit cable is fixed properly or needs replacement.
The Whole Keyboard Panel needs to be changed
If there is some liquid spill such as water, milk, soup on the keyboard then your keyboard backlighting may fail to work. Then there is a need for you to change a new keyboard panel. You can either change it by yourself or can send it to a Mac repair store. We strongly recommended you select the latter option.
You need to buy a suitable replacement at first to change the keyboard panel. Then you need to prepare tools like screws, knives, screwdrivers, and other tools. Then turn off the Mac and take out the battery to change the panel.
Customer Service needs to be contacted
If all the above methods cannot fix your Mac keyboard backlight not working issue then you need to better contact customer service for your Mac which is the most direct and effective method.
The customer service will be able to resolve all the solutions to fix the keyboard backlight not working for Windows and Mac.
We hope that with the help of this blog the laptop users having Windows and Mac systems will be able to troubleshoot their keyboard backlight failure issue.